GentleWave is the latest technology in root canal therapy. This technique is revolutionizing the way dentists and endodontists perform root canals. However the GentleWave procedure costs more than a traditional root canal. Why pay more? Here’s what you should know.
What is Root Canal Therapy?
Root canal therapy is a procedure that reviews the infection or damaged nerve of a tooth. Inside the root canal is the dental pulp, which is composed of the blood vessels and nerves. If bacteria enters the root canal it can infect the dental pulp, such as a crack or decay.
During root canal therapy the dental pulp is removed from the tooth and replaced with a filler material that seals the roots inside the canals and is resistant to infection. The root canal is thoroughly cleaned out and disinfected before being filled. Gentlewave encompasses about 350cc of disinfection fluid vs about 30cc of passive fluid with the traditional , basic root canal procedure.
What is the GentleWave Procedure?
The GentleWave Procedure is a method of performing root canal therapy that uses fluid dynamics and acoustic technology instead of passive disinfection with a syringe to remove the dental pulp and thoroughly clean out the root canal.
Benefits of the GentleWave Procedure
GentleWave technology offers many benefits over traditional root canal procedures:
- More effective. GentleWave more effectively removes dental pulp deep in the roots to ensure that none is left behind that could leave the tooth at risk of future infection.
- Thorough disinfecting. GentleWave disinfects the tooth more thoroughly, reaching even the most microscopic areas of the root canal to remove all bacteria from the tooth.
- Improved outcomes. The success rate of root canal therapy with GentleWave technology is higher than with traditional procedures. The chance of retreatment is greatly reduced. The chance of needing endodontic surgery in the future is also greatly reduced. This can then save a patient time, money & discomfort.
- Minimally invasive. GentleWave is less invasive, using fluid to flush out the tooth rather than metal tools only to clean out the tooth. More tooth structure is preserved, which leaves the tooth stronger & less prone to cracking /breaking.
- Reduced recovery time. The less invasive nature of GentleWave results in faster recovery for patients and less discomfort overall.
- Increased comfort. The root canal procedure itself is more comfortable when GentleWave technology is used. Less anesthesia may be needed. Less pain meds are needed post operatively.
- Efficient. GentleWave can be completed in a single appointment rather than multiple appointments often required for traditional complex root canals.
- Improved oral health. GentleWave contributes to better oral health over the long term, increasing the lifespan of your natural tooth.
Is GentleWave Worth It?
With all of the above benefits, GentleWave may be worth the additional cost. It can even save you money in the long run by treating the tooth more effectively the first time and increasing its lifespan. If you are anxious about getting a root canal, GentleWave would make the procedure more comfortable and relaxing for you.
Frequently Asked Questions About GentleWave
Is GentleWave covered by dental insurance?
Most dental insurance plans are not yet covering GentleWave for root canal procedures. This accounts for the majority of the additional cost over traditional root canal therapy.
How Can I Afford GentleWave?
If your insurance doesn’t cover GentleWave, you can use your HSA or FSA funds for the procedure. You can also finance the procedure with CareCredit, Sunbit, charge card or another lender of your choice.
Why Choose Forest Lake Endodontics?
At Forest Lake Endodontics we believe in offering our patients the most advanced technology available if it can improve their level of comfort and care. GentleWave is just one way we have improved the patient experience at our practice.